favorite beefs..... RE: [at-l] Dieting

Just wanted to toss my $.02 in here:

You can have a handicap that isn't readily apparent to other people, like I
do.  I have several and I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "You
don't look disabled."  Ugh.  I do understand what you mean:  you see someone
get out of the car and walk away seemingly unimpaired and you wonder why
they are using the tags.  I cannot stand up straight because of spinal
problems and you can't tell on the outside how that causes neuromuscular
problems throughout my body and makes it difficult and painful to walk.
Most of the time I look to someone else merely like I'm tired or depressed
or have low self-esteem (ha!).  Sometimes I'm in a lot of pain but it
doesn't necessarily show to a casual observer.  Sometimes that pain
motivates me move quickly because I just want to finish what I'm doing and
go HOME.

I don't have license plate tags or a placard so I don't use them myself, I'm
just pointing out that you can't always see someone else's impairment and it
can still be there.  This is not to say people don't misuse those tags, I'm
just pointing out you can choose to assume the worst or best about people.

P.S.  There's no arguing with Atkinsheads, believe me.  I tried in my past
profession and it doesn't work, it's like a religion to them!

Kelly Whitman
iN*TP*
"There ARE no other women like me."  -- 7 of 9