[at-l] New AT Book

In a message dated 1/12/2004 2:15:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
russ.drake@navy.mil writes:
I received the book "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery".   It is a very
good book and it is humorous at times.  It is not as funny as "A Walk in the
Woods" and is not as serious as "On the Beaten Path" ... but if you combined those
two books together you would have "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery."

Sparky!
I read "a walk in the woods" when it first came out, and thought it was
pretty funny.
An interesting book on all the possibilities of what can go wrong on the
trail, mistakes
people make, and what to expect from two non hikers emersed in a "thru hike"
(sort of).
I got a good laugh reading it.

Then I actually hiked the AT in 2003...

I am now rereading the book again, and can't see why I thought it was such a
good book the
first time. It now seems more like an antihiking book. More of a deliverance
sequel, picking
on the people on the trail and along the trail. I met the people on and along
the trail (hikers
and nonhikers) and found them to be the best part of my hike (yes there are a
few that
match Bills descriptions, but they were the exception, not the rule).

I know many people that still love the book... I guess my point of view
changed.

hotdog
AT03