[at-l] January start

Jim asked,

"Why Jan. 14th? Do you like winter camping? A start that early will not only
mean that you spend the first several weeks in winter but you will arrive
in New England in time to *enjoy* pretty much all of black fly season."

Yes, I like winter camping a lot. I originally was planning to start in
April but there is a little idea I have that maybe if I start earlier (just
maybe), and if I make it all the way to Maine, then I might turn around and
head back to Springer. If I start on my original take off date, going back
south would be quite tough, especially getting through the Whites. IMO
Black fly season for me is not what it is all cracked up to be. One just has
to have a good flying bug management plan. (Deet and bug netting). Swollen
rivers would be more of a concern. But, you know, it's being out with nature
and taking each day as it comes and trying to live in the moment. Amber.