[at-l] Little Lyford Pond camps (just an AMC rant)

 I agree with most of what Rick writes. Well, I think he meant Carter Notch, not
 Crawford. And I think the crack about "smokin" implied something about AMC
 business savy.

 I agree strongly that AMC members should send AMC their views. The planners
 desperately need to hear from members -- and the public for that matter -- who
 think wildness is important. Hmmmm. As I recall past posts about wilderness,
 I'm not sure I want AMC to hear the views of ALL list members, but I'll let
 your consciences be the judge.

  My concern with TJ's contention is that he claims decisions have been made,
  without any backup evidence. To insist on this is counterproductive in my
  opinion. I don't want to go into these discussions assuming the worst and
  having to argue against something I tell the world I believe has already been
  decided. I want to be in a position of saying we have a clean slate with no
  assumptions, let's figure out what is best for the landscape.

  I know AMC doesn't want an environmental battle, because it wants money from a
  proposed new state bond issue, as well as from federal funds. That's why I
  think TJ's speculations are just that, speculations.

   I doubt if we can block plans for a string of huts, though AMC will have
  considerable difficulty, I suspect selling the idea to the Land Use Regulation
  Commission, and to MATC.  But if they are $100 a night facilities, they won't
  draw a significant number of new users anyway, especially if we insist on tent
  sites also along the 50 miles of promised new trails.

  I suspect we can quite easily block any new access, such as TJ's 40 miles of
  new paved roads, but I don't guarantee anything. With the demise of the paper
  industry local communities are desperate for new sources of employment.

  Finally, these discussions have to keep in mind that the land is going to be
  sold. And I still think AMC is a better owner than anyone else I see joining
  the bidding. I just hope they keep on buying.

  And regardless of what AMC does, they can't change the existing trail
  corridor, other than perhaps attracting more people and forcing MATC to build
  more campsites, which are needed anyway.

  Weary