[at-l] Little Lyford Pond camps

>"...One word.......    Rediculous! Another word.
>Absolutelyfreekingoutoftheirmindswhataretheysmoking?"

These are not rates that would entice me to stay there. But AMC bought a going
business that has been around since 1870 and is one of the handful of surviving
traditional Maine sporting camps.

 The rates they are charging are identical to the rates the former independent
 businessman owner charged. They are identical to what other surviving sporting
 camps are charging.

 Last fall on the way back home after inspecting windpower sites in Nova Scotia,
 I stopped at the 15,000 acre Deboullie Public Reserve lands, which I hadn't
 seen since I had visited it 30 years ago, when Maine suddenly found itself with
 400,000 acres it hadn't known it owned. I chatted a bit with the owner of Red
 River Camps, a similar sporting camp to Little Lyford, but on land leased from
 the state.

 Being curious, I asked about his fees. "$100 a day with meals," I was told.

 I don't know what if anything AMC employees smoke, but I think if I bought a
 successful business I would make changes slowly and only after I had gained
 knowledge and experience.

 But then, being a bumpkin, I am less wise than most folks on this list.

 Weary