[at-l] Little Lyford Pond camps

In a message dated 1/8/04 08:42:09 Eastern Standard Time, ARTCLOUTMN writes:

> I'm not sure about the amounts of the fines.  I heard of a college group
> fined $250 for bringing a large group without getting a group permit into the
> Pemi Wilderness.  The National Forest Service is responsible for administering
> fines.  AMC is not a policing agency.
>
>                                              Art

Do only large groups need to get permits or does every hiker.  If I hike
alone but happen to catch up or get over taken by a group will I be identified as
being a part of the group.  What if 20 -25 solo hikers happen to hike at the
same pace or hike at varying paces but happen to come together at a particular
place; will they all be considered to be part of the same group?

It is good to know that there are places to "hang out" in the Whites. By the
time I get that far I will figure some things out.  BTW is it permitted to
walk in the dark (hike at night in the Whites)?  Well, I know that the Little
Lyford Pond Camps is in Maine but since you mentioned the Whites I thought I'd
stay in the area.

Skylander