[at-l] Little Lyford Pond camps

In a message dated 1/7/04 11:36:41 AM, Bror8588@aol.com writes:

> The land, where the AT goes by the AMC shelters, is owned by whom?? Who
> sets
> the rules?? Who enforces the rules?? What are the consequences for breaking
> the rules?? If fines are levied, what happens to Thru-Hikers who are
> destitute??
> Some who travel the AT are pretty low on funds by the time they get to the
> Whites.? How do they fare?

The National Park Service owns the land near the AMC maintained shelters.
They are far from the road for the most part.   Camping within 1/4mile of a
shelter or hut is prohibited except at the shelter or platforms nearby.
Sometimes it is necessary to provide overflow camping for crouded nights.   There are
only limited restrictions to camping any other place in the Whites except
above tree line.   There is no camping above treeline to protect the fragile
enviornment.   There have been many areas that have restoration programs in
process so staying on the trail is important.   But even while hiking above tree
line it is not that tough to find a side trail that will bring you down below
treeline.   Thje Great Gulf Wilderness, Dry River Wilderness, and most other
areas permit camping as long as it is more than 200 ft from trail or water.   Just
beyond Zealand Falls Hut is easy access to the Pemi Wilderness where camping
is permitted with the same rules of 200 feet.    If you are hammocking it
should be easy to find a spot to camp in the Whites.   You can also try the work
for stay plan.   Even some of the caretakered campsites will allow you to work
for stay.   Sometimes all that means is to help the caretaker move a pile of
brush for about an hour.   I live in NH and have never found it a problem to
avoid the huts/shelters and still hike along the AT.   However, most of the time
I use shelters so I can hangout with thru hikers.   By the way caretakers
accept credit cards.   I'm not sure about the amounts of the fines.   I heard of
a college group fined $250 for bringing a large group without getting a group
permit into the Pemi Wilderness.   The National Forest Service is responsible
for administering fines.   AMC is not a policing angency.

                                             Art