[at-l] Handbook/Companion/Data Book/Guide ??

> The trick with profile maps is that they show the shape of
> the trail, not the way it looks on the ground.  It's as
> though you laid a string on the trail, measured it, then
> stretched it out straight for the profile map.  One example
> of the shape of the trail versus what is actually on the
> ground is going north into Erwin.  What looks like a long,
> slow, straight-out descent on the profile map is actually a
> cliff face with long switchbacks.  If you look at the profile
> map, you get one impression of what a particular mountain
> looks like.  If you look at it from a distance, the mountain
> looks completely different.  The vertical shape of the trail
> is different from the shape of the mountain itself.  Am I
> saying this in a way that makes it clear?  Somebody help me
> out here!
>
> anklebear

Very good description and I bet things like that are the reason people claim
the profiles are wrong. The only "mistakes" I have seen are actually places
where the trail has been relocated and you can hardly expect either the map
or the profile to be correct.

---