[at-l] looking for a long winter hike

In a message dated 1/7/2004 5:28:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
krk@speakeasy.org writes:

> Well, no I can't leave from the RUCK since I'm not going, but it's not a
> bad idea. However, my recollection of PA is that certainly north of 501 it's
> hairy going with many short, but fairly steep, sections.

Ok so you don't want to do PA.  How about the Shenandoah's?  They have a
relatively easy grade and it gets too rough, you can take the old AT aka Skyland
Drive!  However nothing will be open and the road will most likely be closed to
cars unless there's a heat wave.  A couple crossings roads, which have lots
of traffic, can be used as bailout points.

Sly