[at-l] looking for a long winter hike

Well, no I can't leave from the RUCK since I'm not going, but it's not a bad idea. However, my recollection of PA is that certainly north of 501 it's hairy going with many short, but fairly steep, sections. Certainly hiking with gear, but not with a pulk. Maybe I'm wrong. But my real objection is that I don't want to do the AT in PA (again - OK still have a bit to do since I ran out of time last summer; the ugly - looks so anyway - bit north of Palmerton.)

I can't attend the RUCK since it falls on the weekend of the Ann Arbor Folk Festival which I really want to go to. So, no RUCK for me. If only it was a weekend or two earlier (or later). If I could attend an interesting hike afterwards would be to go south to Harpers Ferry (OK, there is some good elevation change there too) and then change course and hike the C&O Canal to Cumberland, MD. I wunder how much snow there would be there. Water could be a problem if you can't get to the river (the pumps at the campsites would not be usable during this time). That could be fun and certainly different.

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **
**        Ultralight backpacker   http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **