[at-l] RE: Knives & Weight lose

New here folks; so, please excuse this intrusion and any mistakes, OK?

May I comment on the postings re: knives....?

Have carried an all purpose Swiss Army Knife for years and years; but, now
that I am into this UltraLight stuff. I have questioned the weight/gadgets/etc.

Found the "Becker Necker" for about $40.00 and love it!  Shaper than I can
handle - have cut myself 4 times now...<g>...  2.something OZ. - single blade.

Understand that your knife is a personal selection and try to envision what
you may need it for...  Yep, there's an awl on the Swiss Army Knife to add
another belt loop when you lose weight - haven't used that since 1962 and I
was not on the trail....<g>...

My personal experience/background:

Section Hiker on the AT in the 60's & 70's - managed all but the Southern
400 - 500 miles - Longest time "out there" was 13 days.  Carried 60 - 70
pounds.

Transferred to CA - Did the same "Section Hiking" on the PCT and LA
environs - approx. 600 miles of the PCT in the '80's - Blew out my knee in
a nasty fall...  Surgery - less and less hiking...

Thought my life "out there" was over - found out about UltraLight and am
now an ounce weenie - Back East now - can do 6 to 8 hours in sub-32 degrees
with under 38 pounds (That includes my SkyDog's food too!).

...I forget now, what's the knife for...?  Sky cannot open those damn
packets any more than I can....<g>...  Let's see...  "In an emergency":

# open food containers
# whittle twigs for a fire (as in "Cast-Away")...?
# strike*** a stone for spark
# spear a fish/lobster/nachos/burger
# cut myself for the 4th time
# blood-letting for on-the-trail remedies

...hmmmm...?  Just why do I carry a knife
anyways....?  Security....!  Bears/Lions/Tigers/Muggers

Happy Trails,

J.D.