[at-l] Scout knife.

I learned sharpening from my wood sculpture professor who was a stickler
for having gouges that would easily carve hardwoods. We used somewhat
heavier equipment than I would want in the field but the principles are the
same. I have used the method that you describe, but an Arkansas stone is
both easier to find than a pocket sized piece of polished granite and
considerably more convenient than the loose grits used in that method. I
suppose a 'field' perfectionist could substitute a bit of rouge on a small
leather strop such as http://www.knifeart.com/leatherstrop.html.