[at-l] Scout knife.

I really don't know anything about the technical side of knife making. But I've
observed that some knife blades dull easily, but also sharpen easily. Some hold
an edge even when I abuse them with things like emergency sawing open of tin
cans, but sharpen only with an enormous effort, especially if you are on the
trail without motorized sharpeners.

 I, for instance, own two Chicago Cutlery chef knives for use at home. One
 60-year-old version requires frequent sharpening, but that is accomplished with
 a few strokes on a stone or sharpening steel. The other, purchased a decade
 ago, dulls only slowly, but is a bitch to sharpen.

 Frankly, I prefer the former. Especially if I have some serious cutting to do
 that demands a nice sharp instrument.

 I've had the same experience with trail knives. When I'm carving an AT symbol,
 or a figure on a hiking staff, I prefer a blade that will quickly achieve a
 razor edge, even if I have to use my stone every few minutes to touch up the
 blade.

 When opening Pita bread and carving cheese and summer sausage for a lunch
 sandwich, both work equally fine.

 Weary