[at-l] Benton MacKaye Trail Extension

Last April I walked the 93 mile Benton Mackaye Trail from Springer Mountain to the Ocoee River.  It was a great trip, and I saw more wildlife in a week than I did in my first 2 months on the AT.

A few weeks ago, the Benton MacKaye Trail Association (BMTA) received approval from the Cherokee National Forest to extend their trail.  Approval from the Nantahala NF has either just occurred, or can be expected any day.  The BMTA already has approval to extend the trail in the Great Smoky Mountain NP (it runs parallel to the AT - to the east) on existing trails.

It is hoped that within 2 years, the BMT will be extended out to a total length of 273 miles from Springer to Davenport Gap.  It will create a figure 8 with the AT, and allow for a 550+ mile loop hike from Springer to Davenport Gap, or an alternative start to a hike from Springer to Katahdin.

If this trail is going to be open in 2 years, the BMTA will need some folks to help them build & maintain trail in Eastern Tennessee.  If you're interested in getting involved, please drop me a note, or visit the BMTA website at http://www.bmta.org.

Happy Hiking