  From: jeff hunter
  To: Alan Shorb ; at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
  Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 8:56 AM
  Subject: Re: [at-l] Handbook/Companion/Data Book/Guide ??

  Alan:

  The Companion is published by the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association (ALDHA) and is available for purchase and download http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm

  The Companion is spiral bound, and contains detailed info about AT Shelters and trail town services.  It's a nice publication, but you probably don't need it if you have WF's publication.

  The data book is published by the Appalachian Trail Conference (ATC) and contains information about water sources, shelters, towns, and historic places along the trail.  The databook's format is quite simple.  I completed my thru-hike with just the databook and occasionally, a few pages from the Companion.  I had ordered Wingfoot's book, but it arrived 6 weeks after I completed my hike.  You can pick up the Databook from the ATC's ultimate store http://www.atctrailstore.org/.  The AT maps are also available from this site.

  Hope that helps.