[at-l] 2003 in Review

In a message dated 1/2/2004 7:57:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
AThiker@smithville.net writes:

> I woke up yesterday with a
> near migraine. I COULDN'T get up until nearly 11. Makes for a painful
> day of hiking when it hurst to open your eyes. I'm pretty certain that
> was the most 'sick' I've ever been while hiking.

Dude, I feel for you.  I'm a cluster headache suffer, like migraines only
reportedly worse.  It's hard to measure what size spike is piercing your head and
not something you can get used too.  Many become suicidal, the pain's so bad.
 The only saving grace is that they will end eventually.  I get them 2-3
times a day, everyday for a couple months.  Generally most get then every year,
although I've been lucky the past years since I started hiking.  This last
episode went from Sept to Dec.  Ironically, one of the only things that helped was
walking. I sure I got some stares walking down the the road with my fleece
wrapped around my head like a turbin holding the side of my face.

A few saw me an this years Gathering with them and I wasn't a pretty site.
Since then (and just recently) I found a cure and a preventative for future
episodes.  Completely illegal mind you, but I'll be damned if I have to go
through that again for the 20th time.  Let's just say it's natures way of providing
a little "magic" and it worked for me.  There's a few doctors that are picking
up on it, but it's not likely that the powers that be will ever accept it or
even study it for that matter, when the drug companies are making a fortune
selling costly drugs. Some of the side affects of such prescription meds, like
Imtrex, can cause heart attacks.  I'm not so sure my ticker would be up to it.
That said, the "cure" isn't everyone, but works for most.   If you become
chronic or cluster prone, I could direct you to a website for more info.

To a pain free 2004!

Sly