[at-l] 2003 in Review

My hiking in 2003 went something like this:

Had a great hike in March with lister Amy. We started at Fox Creek north
of Old Orchard and hiked the AT to the point where the Creeper Trail
cuts off and then we took the Creeper in to Damascus. (Lovely trail,
that creeper is.) Had a blast with Amy. Pix of the hike SHOULD be at
http://felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/MtRogersTrip.html

Then, in June, Pilot and I hiked the Art Loeb Trail. A very nice
microcosm-of-the-AT trail. It's kinda like the whole AT shrinked into a
30 mile trail. Well, there aren't any state lines to cross...so, that's
at least one difference. After the hike we got to drink coffee with
Waterfall and listen to her play piano in a coffeehaus in Brevard. That
was nice. After that we got to do dinner with Pog in Asheville. After
which Pilot and I went to see James McMurtry at a place called...help me
here...The Orange Peel? Orange Jam? Somesuch. The next day, we headed up
the Blue Ridge Parkway...and, at some point, ended up at Fox Hill Inn
and had a very nice visit/stay with Mark and Janet. Pilot and I spent a
couple of days/nights at the Fox Hill Inn when we met on our thruhikes
in '98. so, there was a nice little nostalgia feel. The next day we went
to Grayson Highlands and then into Damascus. We ate at the little ice
cream shop the AT runs next to just as a southbounder is getting to
town. It is the one on the left (trail east) for southbounders...not the
one across 58. We had a nice little experience with a little girl there.
Remind me sometime to tell you about it. (There should have been a real
trip report [as real as one of my trip reports can be] written about
this trip at the thyme. There wasn't)

Nextly, sometime in September I hiked from Wallingford, VT to N. Adams,
MA. Had a nice hike...perhaps I shall still write a what-I-remember trip
report about this one...

And, lastly but not leastly...Pilot and I hiked the Knobstone Trail this
week. The trail is very nice. Some of the views (winter views) in the
southern 1/3 were very nice. Reminiscent of many places on the trail in
VA and TN and GA, in fact. There are some spectacular ravines
('hollers') and lots of woods, if you're into that kind of thing. Four
thumbs up from Pilot and me. It was pretty amazing to be hiking on New
Year's Eve and NOT wear a jacket. We wore shorts the whole hike. I tried
to spy Saturn New Year's Eve night (it was supposed to be it's brightest
at midnight, by irony's sake) but couldn't. It's hard to get out of that
sleeping bag once you're in it...ain't it? I woke up yesterday with a
near migraine. I COULDN'T get up until nearly 11. Makes for a painful
day of hiking when it hurst to open your eyes. I'm pretty certain that
was the most 'sick' I've ever been while hiking. I think I've been
pretty lucky in those regards over the years.

I'm ramblin'...I do ramble. As far as hike plans for this year...I ain't
got none. I almost never know 'til about then when and where I'm gonna
be hiking. I'll let you know if I am. Amy, you wanna go?

Happy New Year to ya...

--
Felix Navidad
ME-->GA '98