[at-l] Yaktraks (Gear Review +trip report)

Having Monday off I headed over to the Catskills to climb Slide and
Panther. Two hikes for one trip, since the trailheads are only about 2
miles apart. I headed for Slide first - there was a bit of snow in the
parking area, but out on the trail it was hit or miss between the snow and
the rocks. Definitely NOT crampon conditions, but they were riding in my
pack in case I ran into anything nasty.
I had used my skimpy REI divident to but some Yaktraks, which I thought
would be ideal for these mixed rock/ice/snow conditions. I have to say that
I wasn't horribly impressed. I think they'd work great on sidewalks and
roadways, but while there's lots of traction, if your foot doesn't land
flat the traction is between the Yaktraks and the ground, and not between
your boots and the Yaktracks, so they end up flopping around... about half
the time they stretch over and end up on the side of your foot. I
eventually gave up and continued climbing without them.
Gorgeous sunny day, way warm in the sun. Met 4 backpackers and 10 day
hikers, mostly on the way back down. Aware of the shortness of the daylight
I didn't spend a lot of time on top, and I still wanted to get over to
Panther.
Since there was more snow, packed down in the trail, up near the summit, I
decided to try the Yaktraks again to see if they worked better descending.
Again I wasn't impressed, lots of traction when they worked right, but then
they'd slip around my foot and I'd skid. Frankly I'd rather descend without
them and expect to skid, than descend with them and expect traction and
then end up skidding. They may get another try this weekend with a full
pack...
Back at the parking area, and then a short drive over to the Panther
trailhead. Two cars in the parking lot, heading out for another 6 mile hike
at 11:30 am... fast climb up to the ridge. Met some dayhikers just before
the Giant Ledges, where I stopped for lunch and to enjoy the views. No
recent tracks between the ledges and Panther. One more beautiful viewpoint
overlooking Woodland Valley, and time to head back. I was hoping it hadn't
gotten TOO warm, I had crossed quite a few iced-over puddles along the
ridge, and didn't want the thinning ice to drop me into the cold water
below, but things went well, other than a couple of ominous creaks...
Met two more dayhikers on the way up to the ledges while I was on my way
down. Lots of daylight left when I got back to the car. So far I've managed
to avoid that solo winter night hike... I'd like to keep it that way...

skeeter