[at-l] new food in my bag

Well, real grits usually take a good 25-30 minutes to cook...  Technically,
those would be better for you out on the trail than the instant (with all
the extra added nutritional value over instant grits).  Of course that extra
value comes with the cost of fuel/cooking time.  Pre-soaking them might
improve the cooking time, but I don't know if I tried that yet with real
grits..

Of course, if you're in a place you can use Ray Garlington's inverted
downdraft stove, or another type of wood burner, then you're set with just a
few ounces of wood to get your grits cooked...

My favorite is Grits with Red Eye Gravy! ..

And, as any good southerner knows, REAL grits do truly taste better..  It's
like the difference between REAL oatmeal (steel cut oats or the like) and
the instant type..  The real thing's always the better.... IMO...

Daniel