[at-l] RE: OT computer Trouble!!

RE: Win ME. I agree. That OS was a real dog, arguably the worst that MS
ever put out. I can't say I was too fond of 98 SE either but I know some
who liked it. It think it depended on the hardware you had whether it was
any good. My son claims it was the best MS OS for gaming (he's a 3D game
programmer). I was running it on a Compaq 500 mhz unit and had frequent
(2-5/day) crashes from day one. The problem with setting up old hardware
with fresh installs of old OSs is getting the latest version. All of the MS
OSs had multiple iterations with updated (read that as 'bug fixes') along
the way. You need to find the last version they issued. Are the updates to
98 still on the MS web site? I last updated a 98 machine about a year and a
half ago. If they are you don't want to be updating via dial-up. Borrow
someone's broadband connection for an hour.

I actually liked 95 better than either version of 98. When I was doing
networking/support for DOL we had several old desktops and laptops that ran
95. They were some of the most reliable machines we had but that may have
been as much the hardware as the software. The laptops were DELL 166mhz
XPi-CD models and they just wouldn't quit. I believe they are still using them.