[at-l] Re: t-l] Trail Relationships

>>>This didn't just happen on the AT. I'm sure Clyde could tell some
>>>stories from the Long Trail.
 One year 4 months and 11 days ago today (someday I can write 5 years ago today reports) while hiking the long trail, Miss Liteshoe and I carried our smelly selves into the whistle stop resaurant at Clarendon Gorge.  Outside was an eating area and a sign that said if you needed service to let the waitress know.  We put our packs down and I went to tell the waitress we were outside.  Later, Jan went inside and used their telephone to send her pocketmail.  I looked really rough and smelled worse, so to keep the other customers from smelling the sweet smell of successful hiking, I sat down outside.  After about 20 minutes I went back inside and there sat Jan typing her journal and drinking a coke.  I was completely ignored because I was hiker trash.  Now the Whistle stop is no 5 star eating establishment and the waitress fit her surroundings but some service might have been nice.  I am generally reasonably well dressed when I go into a restaurant and receive reasonable service.  Rather than being mean to the woman I left her a $10.00 tip on a $6.00 meal.  I watched her pick up the tip as I was leaving with an obvious look of embarrassment on her face.  I won.  It sure is fun to get even sometimes.

Clyde