2004 Ruck to Benefit.... whom????? Re: [at-l] My drummin' friend...

Sloetoe wrote:
>>For new list members, in 2000 the Place in Damascus needed
>>help. List members were instrumental in raising over $5000 and
>getting a work party together. I think there's pic in the
>gallery?
>### No, we don't often wish to work an "official" *anything*
>into Ruck business -- the 2000 Ruck benefitting The Place being
>a well-known and wonderful exception. May I suggest a similar
>entirely-worthy exception? Delaware Water Gap's Church of the
>Mountain hostel has put out a call for help in the latest ATN
>http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/pubs/atn/archive/ATN03Nov.pdf
>If you scan down to page 20, you'll see the "Letter" ...
>This hostel, again, has provided *worthy* service, and would be
>a good steward of any resources we might raise....

OK, Sir Toe --- you got it.  As of this moment, the "official" fundraising
effort for this year's PA Ruck will be Church of the Mountain Hostel in DWG.
  We've been looking for a worthy cause -

We've had some sort of minor fundraiser for the last several years.  We've
never made it a big deal except for the one for The Place.  But we've
continued to have a used gear sale and a Saturday lunch fund-raiser every
year as well as a contribution jar for the benefit of the hostel.  The
proceeds from the Saturday lunch fund-raiser and the gear sale have gone
toward some worthy Trail-related cause.  And we've always managed to
contribute a little bit to some part of the Trail community.  Last year, the
proceeds went to the AT Museum.   This year it'll be to the Church of the
Mountain.

For those who don't know - that hostel almost closed a few years ago.  Not
so much because of money, but because of "hiker behavior" - or more
accurately, hiker "misbehavior."  Anything that we can do to encourage them
to stay open would be good.  And while money may not be "everything" - it
sometimes helps.

Now ---- since Sir Toe suggested this - I'm gonna suggest that he be elected
the fund-raising coordinator.  It only takes 5 votes to elect him - and he
already has my vote.  We need four more.  Who else thinks he's eminently
qualified for the position?  <VBG>

Walk softly,
Jim