[at-l] GPS questions

GPS units have really improved over the years. They are much cheaper and have much better reception. My first GPS was a Magellan Trail Blazer. It costs $550. and would lose signals with the slightest bit of tree canopy cover. It contained no maps. One feature it did have that I really liked was the ability to project a point. What I mean by this is. Say I am at a known point and I have a topo map. I know where I am on the map but I want to go to some other point and I go not have GPS coordinates for that new point. With this unit I could measure with a ruler on the topo (example 2" west and 3" north) enter this in the GPS and it would give me coordinates for that point. I had a lot of fun using this feature. I wonder if any of the new GPS units have this feature? I guess if you have a unit with maps in it you do not need this feature. Don't forget about Geo-caching! It is great fun and great practice on using your GPS.

chase