[at-l] GPS questions

TJ wrote:
>In a message dated 12/15/03 8:24:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>jbullar1 at twcny.rr.com writes:
>>Here's the one you need. :)
>>http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/
>
>egad.
>I've been a good boy, but not that good! :O)

TJ -
Try the Garmin Etrex Legend - I picked up one at an REI sale for $120, and
the National Geographic Topo! software for $79.95.

I'm not a great believer in the things, but if we're gonna wander through
the Arctic over the next couple years, I figured it might be a good idea.
Normal navigation techniques don't work very well there.  Neither does
normal GPS software, so after I've learned to use it proficiently, I'll have
to get special software for it and learn all over again.

OTOH - for where you're likely to use it $200 ain't too bad a price.  One of
the guys I work with got into GPS big-time and has spent something over $700
on gear and software (mostly software).  And another one has at least 3
units that I know about plus masses of software.  It's apparently addictive.
  Do the research first - we spent some time looking and then sat through an
introductory workshop and asked a lot of questions before we bought
anything.

I haven't been "that" good either.  <G>

Walk softly,
Jim

Winterize your home with tips from MSN House & Home.