[at-l] AMC's intent & a little history

"I'm enough of a realist to see that HBC will never be able to affect Joy
Street's attitudes."

An individual who does not share the articulated vision of the AMC's inner
circle probably has even less ability to affect change.  The only case I
have heard about of someone who made the attempt was a guy from NY who
figured out that if he got a hundred AMC signatures on a petition, he could
force Joy Street to put his pet gripe up for a membership-wide vote.   It
was on a trivial issue, though.

Barring that, I'd agree that with the AMC one really has to just eat what's
on his plate.  Or on a plate at the AMC's new Highland Center.  Of course
that would cost a couple $208 a night for a private room, or $132 a night
for a pair of bunks in its mortgage-free $9 million dollar center (which
lack a hikers' room, BTW).  Not that I am bitter.   Like Art points out, It
is good to remember what wonderfull volunteers, and very cheap of free
programs, the chapters have.

Perhaps Weary can share some of the history on why the AMC's plans for a
series of massive huts in another part of Maine fell through just a couple
years ago. And why he thinks the AMC leadership  will honor his Chapter's
vision for the new property?

FWIW, I am all for cellebrating purchase of the Ironworks Property.  Heck, I
even welcome development; Baxter has lean-tos and cabins and group camping
areas all over the place.  Development  can be a good thing.  If I were the
Governor, I would certainly embrace the economic development that an
organization like the AMC can bring to the area.  Jobs are important.

But lets not kid our selves that the change will all be for the better.  And
lets not kid ourselves that the AMC's interest and that of the Trail are
always compatable.  Protection of those lands does come at a price, even if
on balance its a price that we are willing to pay.   And lets not kid
ourselves that the Maine Chapter or anyone else will have a great voice in
the level of development to come over the next few years.  Those decisions
will be formed and sold by the machine at Joy Street.

Rick B

Cell phone ‘switch’ rules are taking effect — find out more here.
http://special.msn.com/msnbc/consumeradvocate.armx