[at-l] Mountain Lions in Smoky?

The article I copied below is definitely "on topic" (in addition to being
interesting and informative) for this thread.

Also, I found that the referenced link was very helpful (answering some of
the questions that have been asked):

www.easterncougarnet.org

There is even a section of the website with maps showing "confirmed
sightings" of the big cats in various eastern US states.

And, I believe that there are still many other places in the eastern US (not
shown on these particular maps) where one or more of "the big cats" are
living or have visited, as evidenced by credible witness sightings.  The
maps on the above cited website apparently reference only those locations
which have produced compelling physical evidence or a sighting by an
"official" wildlife officer.

I have not directly seen any of the big cats myself.  Just a few bobcats
(which are really neat animals).  But, when I was working as a biologist for
a state water management district, I was lucky enough once to be in the
right place at the right time to some extent.  The day started out as a
joint learning experience between the wildlife officer and myself, regarding
some proposed wetland area projects.  Of course, wherever we walked we would
keep stopping to look at various large mammal tracks.  Then we saw them -
the really large, feline tracks in the mud.  It was so exciting!  I ended up
assisting the wildlife officer with some physical evidence collection
(making several plaster casts) and they were later confirmed to be cougar or
panther tracks.

What a great memory...  I  miss that job, dammit!

Cheryl (Swamp Blar)

 ----------------------------------

FRANK SARGEANT
fsargean@tampabay.rr.com
681 words
Tampa Tribune
FINAL
10
English
Copyright (c) 2003 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All
rights reserved.

Big Cats Appear To Be Repopulating Eastern U.S.

Florida might no longer be the only state in the eastern United States
harboring wild cougars.

The big cats appear to be returning to many states in the Midwest, and a few
might have turned up just east of the Mississippi River, according to
reports. The spread appears to be following a pattern somewhat similar to
the migration of coyotes within the past 20 years. Both species are deer
predators, and their increase might be linked to vastly increased numbers of
deer nationwide.

The increase in cougars might have remained anecdotal, however, were it not
for four amateur naturalists who began to track, verify and quantify
evidence of the spread.

Mark Dowling, Ken Miller, Jim Close and Bob Wilson formed the Eastern Cougar
Network about a year ago when they discovered a common interest in the big
cats.

But unlike some interest groups, such as fans of the legendary Sasquatch,
the ECN members vowed to take a strictly scientific approach to
investigating cougar reports.

"We give reports of cougar sightings from the general public almost no
credence," Dowling said. "We've found that these inevitably turn out to be
sightings of bobcats, feral cats or even deer."

Dowling said the group records sightings from established wildlife
professionals, as well as "hard" evidence such as road- killed cougars,
clearly verifiable tracks, cougar kills, photographs and DNA-tested cougar
droppings or hair.

But even with these strict measures, Dowling said, there can be little doubt
that wild cougars are popping up in greater numbers in areas far outside
their typical western range.

"Cougar numbers are up in the western states because they are no longer
bountied and shot as pests," Dowling said. "And we also know that young male
cats are often forced out of their home range by the resident toms, so any
expanding population is likely to have an expanding range."

There have been verified encounters in many midwestern states in the past
decade, Dowling said. And while a few turned out to be from captive cats
released into the wild, necropsy reports and DNA tests indicate most have
been full-blooded wild cougars.

Remarkably, even heavily developed states such as New York, Massachusetts,
Illinois, Iowa, Missouri and Delaware have produced solid reports.

Dowling said evidence of breeding populations - that is, family groups - is
much less widespread.

"When we get a report of a cougar carcass, it's usually a young male, which
is what you'd expect with the normal migration patterns," Dowling said. "But
it's possible that with continuing migrations, these cats may reach critical
mass in some midwestern and eastern woodlands and start to spread more
rapidly."

He said the cats appear to follow river drainages out of the west, because
the drainages hold the most game and provide cover. But once they hit the
woodlands east of the Mississippi, they might travel anywhere.

"Some biologists believe the habitat in parts of the east is really much
better than in the west if the animals get established," Dowling said.
"There's more cover, more water and a higher density of prey with the
increase in whitetail deer."

Dowling said although he is not a hunter, he believes hunters can claim a
part of the credit for the apparent cougar comeback.

"Hunters supported the increase in deer numbers both politically and
financially, and that is a key factor in reestablishing the cats," he said.

"The big story to me is that the wildlife situation in North America is not
all doom and gloom. The cougar is an animal that takes a really healthy
habitat to thrive, and it looks like modern conservation measures are
allowing this to happen."

To learn more about the organization, visit www.easterncougarnet.org

PHOTO; Caption: Tribune photo by FRANK SARGEANT There are thought to be
about 80 panthers in Florida. Cougars might be returning to other states
east of the Mississippi River, repopulating wilderness areas where they were
extinct for nearly a century.