[at-l] AMC's "miscues" in the 100 Mile

In a message dated 12/14/03 10:17:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

> There is no doubt that our words have impact. At the Maine Chapter, AMC
> board
> meeting on Thursday of this week, comments posted on trail lists were part
> of
> the discussion over the AMC project.

-----------------------
(From the report om meepi.org)
Concern was voiced about how much development will occur on the AMC land even
before the club closed the deal with IP. <A HREF="http://home.gwi.net/amcmaine/main.htm";>Maine AMC chapter</A> executive
committee member Erin Woodsome, writing in the November-December issue of its
newsletter, Wilderness Matters, questioned whether the envisioned level of development
will compromise the wild character and natural features of the land. She said
she feared that "mistakes made by AMC that contribute to overuse of the White
Mountains" may be repeated in Maine.For Woodsome, AMC?s construction of the
Highland Center "is a red flag waving. AMC, historically committed to
preservation and conservation, seems to have become more focused on developing itself
as a recreation industry leader," she wrote. "The contradiction between
preservation and development merits careful discussion."Following an AMC forum last
week to discuss the new Maine initiative, Woodsome was still worried about the
size and appropriateness of the club?s development plans and wondered whether
the Maine chapter will be allowed by "Joy Street" (the Boston headquarters of
AMC) to have a meaningful role. So far, she said, requested information about
the project has been withheld from the Maine chapter. And, the local club has
not been allowed to be involved in a way that "we can make a difference,"
Woodsome said.
I doubt internet posts were the most important topic at the meeting.
TJ