[at-l] AMC's r*** of the 100 Mile

Out of respect for Weary, I will carefully address his response. Hope the
anti-windmill meeting went well, Weary.
------
Weary posted;

TJ says
>"Liquidation logging operations are now underway."

"That's unlikely to be happening through anything AMC is responsible for,
since
AMC has only owned the land for a few weeks. I assume the purchase is subject
prior IP timber sales and IP and other paper companies have been hiring
private
contractors to liquidate their forests for decades. I assume it's possible
some
of these private contracts will require time to run out."

my response>>> As you say, liquidation logging operations are now underway.

>"...KI road upgrade cost to be shared by AMC and the State, plan is pavement
>from Greenville to Route 11.

"Since the AMC purchase is many miles from the nearest public roads and many
miles from Greenville and many miles from Route 11, far more than AMC
complicity
would be required. Construction would require approval by the Maine
Legislature
and a major road-construction bond issue."

my response>>> The targeted consumer isn't driving ten year old F-150s.
They're driving new Mercedes SUVs. The roads will be paved. All the construction
projects are part of the 'provide economic opportunities' scheme.

>"...Lyford Pond Camps Area to upgrade to?"major" year round accommodations
>facility, planning says 150-200 beds, including conference center, and
>"demonstration scale" solar, wind, and hydro power generation. That stuff is
>just for show, regular utility lines to Lyford Pond will be lain in."

"If so AMC is using an awkward way to go about it. So far the only
construction
underway ..."

my response>>> "So far.." is pretty spinny. As in; "So far we haven't done
what we're planning to do."

>"...Hermitage area campgrounds to be modernized and expanded to 80 sites, a
mix
>of tenting, RV, cabins, and lean-tos.

"This is my first positive evidence that TJ's report is mostly crap. There
are no
"Hermitage area campgrounds." The Hermitage has been owned by the Nature
Conservancy for at least a quarter century. No camping is allowed. The only
campsites nearby are operated by North Maine Woods, and are mostly on land
that
was not purchased by AMC."

my response>>> Weary- they are nearer the Hermitage than the Gulf Hagas,
aren't they? So they are "Hermitage area campgrounds." They are where they are,
adjacent to the AT corridor north of the river on the shoulder of White Cap,
within rifle shot of the Hermitage and Gulf Hagas. The two campgrounds are large,
spread out, and have miles of road and dozens of sites. For you AT hikers out
there, after you ford the shallow river the AT goes left to the Hermitage,
and right along the bank the trail goes into the campgrounds. I don't list them
in the Companion because they are drive in campgrounds that require
reservations made at a distant gatehouse. When the AMC takes over, you'll be able to
reserve on-line, no doubt.<<<

>"...AMC visitor centers planned for downtown Greenville, the Hermitage/Gulf
>Hagas?parking area,?and at the Katahdin Iron Works gate site.

"I don't doubt that there will be at least one visitor center."

my response>>>No doubt about it, Weary, no doubt at all.<<<

>"...Maine's new Governor (A paper company whore, in my personal opinion) has
>been reported as giggling ..."

"This is a terrible accusation to make."

my response>>> It's more terrible for him to be one.<<<

Finally: "It's inconceivable that anything like TJ's message could
be in the works without at least one of them leaking the truth to me."

I never said I thought the truth was unknown to you, Weary. The fact is, I
said 'The MATC has known about this for months." You said "years."
And, naught for nothing, but you said "99 percent of what TJ reports is pure
nonsense."
Your stab at hyperbole fails mathematically. You chose only the few parts
above to comment on, while you avoided these:
"The AMC is really spinning this issue, taking every opportunity to scoff at
the "wilderness" part of the 100 Mile Wilderness."
"By the way, the photo on the AMC page is supposed to be Little Lyford Pond
and Baker Mountain. It isn't - it's Katahdin from the shore of Compass Pond.
Idiots."
"The MATC has known about this for months."
"This?will be?a 4 season recreation/education project."
"The AMC will also buy, expand, and operate?the several Paper Company rental
cabins at the North end of the 100 Mile. One is just 1/2 mile from the Hurd
Brook Lean-to."
"Maine's new Governor ... has been reported as giggling?while showing?around
an AMC?map, with new logging areas, new roads and?bridges, and new trails for
hiking/snowsleding/skiing colored in."

Weary typed: "I'm sure TJ believes his message."
Yes, I do. Nice map, eh Weary?
TJ