[at-l] Re: Blister management question

We did a "competition" first aid kit on BackpackerLite
a couple of years ago. It was boring, as there really
wasn't disagreement.

Most First Aid is between your ears. You want to carry
something at all times that will at least summon help.
(necklace with photon light, whistle, ID, Mylar sheet
or big trash bag) You want to learn how to improvise -
fleece and safety pins (used as zipper pulls) make
great slings, for instance. Medication choices should
be determined on you own medical history, not a blind
inclusion of everything in the drug store. You seek
multiple usage items - such as Vaseline (fire starter,
chafing, chapping, lubricant, etc.). Ethanol hand gel
treats wounds and starts fires.

I plan on treating a few minor injuries, limited GI
events, pain and such. I try to prevent nasty trip
ending events with sunscreen and DEET - which also
come in nicely lubricating lotions. Anything bigger is
designed to help evacuate me or another hiker to the
ER. Lekis make great splints, especially when wrapped
in fleece or a Thermorest (two are better than one).

I carry NO sterile pads, gauze or bandaids. Bandanas
will stop bleeding, Duct tape provides coverage and
pressure. I do carry Second Skin and a single large
sheet of BioOcclude from the OR. I carry Jello powder
and sugar in cold conditions, Gatorade/Conquest powder
all of the time for rehydration and treatment of
hypothermia.

I told you it was boring.

Bill...