[at-l] RUCK planning

Dave and Jim are correct in their recall of RUCK
planning and goals. There was some concern that
smaller RUCKs would be seen as "competition" and
injure the feelings of planners. There was the desire
to allow folks to RUCK from state to state. There was
the concern that somehow planning a RUCK is a
difficult task.

RUCK planning needs 3-4 months to arrange the place. I
like MLK weekend as many have 3 days off, but some
places get real busy because of that fact. The timing
issue was demonstrated when Sly attempted an NC
mini-RUCK at NOC, only to find competition from
kiyakers (whatever those little boat thingies are
called). Linda Patton put together a miniRUCK in NOGA
one April, but the cold and wet sent us all home after
one night of camping. This demonstrated (to me) that a
RUCK Central shelter is a very good idea when
planning.

The hard part is finding the time and place. Once that
is accomplished, PA and SO RUCKers are famous with
bringing more food than imaginable. There are regional
flavors. For instance, I like to bring blueberries
from the Blueberry Patch and make pancakes on
Saturday. Of course, better cooks usually shipped me
off and did the grueling work.

There is absolutely no reason that a bunch of RUCKs
couldn't occur. Winter is a good time to help
pre-screen gear, meet local gear vendors and
producers, test gear, run workshops on hiking/camping
skills, shoot the breeze, show slides and photos, etc.

I bet a motel near Rock Fish Gap (Waynesboro, VA) or
Lynchburg would work well. I bet Ms Janet's or Johnson
City, TN would work well. I am certain that Tremont in
the Smokies would work well, or Fontana Dam for that
matter. I'd be very surprised if there aren't similar
resources further north - such as the camp north of
Sunfish Pond in NJ or Bear Mtn Lodge.

I bet that all one needs to do is declare a RUCK and
arrange a weekend when there are a few rooms. Stupor
Bowl weekend probably works easiest, as it is a
"gather around the suburban TV" event. If 10 folks
show up, critical mass has been achieved for future
years.

The first GARUCK was successful with Goose Creek
cabins obtained just a week or two before
Thanksgiving. Last year, we demonstrated that RUCK
organizers weren't even that important, as I left to
attend a wedding and missed just about all of
Saturday.

If you RUCK, they will come!

OrangeBug