[at-l] The 2004 Ruck - do you want to eat?

Gary Roberts wrote:
>AARRRGGHHHH!!!!!!  NO POG, that is just totally unacceptable.......what are
>we to do???  How will we eat??  We'll starve to death.
>Are you reeeaaaaallly not coming???
>
>For Pog - we'll really, really miss you.  <G>

That's one of several reasons I didn't want to be organizing this one.  And
it brings up something that needs to be said --- if this is gonna happen,
and everyone's gonna get fed, watered, pampered, powdered, entertained, etc,
  then it's gonna be because some of you step up and take a piece of the
action.

I won't (WILL NOT) be organizing the kitchen.  I'd rather starve.  So we're
gonna need some help there.  How much?  Well -

Friday night has traditionally been a spaghetti dinner that Ginny and I miss
because we don't get there until late.   Self-cooking spaghetti hasn't been
invented yet.

Saturday morning y'all are likely on your own unless someone steps up and
decides to feed everyone.  That's happened once or twice, but unless you
hear otherwise, God bless the child that's got their own.

Saturday lunch has often been soup and bread - for a price.  The proceeds
have generally gone to a worthy cause.  And you REALLY don't want to have me
making the soup.  Several kinds of soupl are actually a good idea - as well
as several kinds of bread, so this one takes several different people to put
together.

Saturday dinner is potluck.  Bring your favorite dish to share - or bread -
or dessert - or whatever.   This is the "main" meal and it'll require
someone to take charge of the kitchen and keep it organized.  We can draft a
few trail apes for traffic control, but making everything happen in the
kitchen requires someone with talent, so we're looking for a volunteer.
And for a few "junior assistant deputy associate chefs"  with enough smarts
to not fall in the soup pot.  I don't generally qualify.

Sunday breakfast is another "you're on your own" meal - unless Gary or Toey
or someone shows up with lead pancakes again.  <G>

Hmm - or did that happen on Saturday?   Whatever.  Only Pog knows.

NOBODY should be volunteering for more than one meal.  This IS a fun weekend
- and has never demanded all that much of anyone (except maybe Pog <G>).
We'd like to keep it that way.

After Sunday breakfast is "clean the hostel" time.  We used it - we clean
it.  Pick a chore, do it and then we'll open the cage and y'all can go home
and stuff yourselves at the Stupor Bowl parties.  <G>

In spite of my grousing about being in the same place too long, we'd like to
be welcome to go back to Ironmasters again sometime.  So keep your cool and
don't make (or leave) messes.  You know - LNT - Pack it in, pack it out -
etc.

One year, nobody cleaned anything before leaviing.  And one year it just got
a lick and a pormise because  everyone bolted when they thought they were
gonna get snowed in.  Not acceptable.  If you're gonna dance to the tune,
then you get to pay the fiddler.

We have a new hostel keeper this year.  I talked to Brad last night, I'll be
talking to him again later - and we want to keep him happy.  So one of the
things we do is to leave food behind.  Last year we left pies - lots of pies
- along with enough food to keep a small army fed for a month.  They like
that - and donations to the hostel are good, too.

Anything I forgot, Pog?  Other than telling them how much work is involved?
And how much fun?

Enough for now - we'll talk about other things later............... or maybe
the same things again.  Who knows?
Walk softly,
Jim

Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups!  Get downloads, videos,
and more here.  http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx