[at-l] If you were new to the list....

>"...Given a growing population, a shrinking budget and the changing political
>composition of this country, you might want to keep in mind that without those
>hikers, there would be no viable political reason for the AT to survive. ..."

Many thanks to Jim for a most constructive message. I couldn't agree more.
That's why I don't work to preserve land in the abstract. I work to preserve
land that hikers can use, both now and in the future.

>"...Nor is at-l what you want and expect it to be.  It was not conceived to be
>what you want it to be.  In fact, as you should have realized on both
>Trailplace and TA - what you want is not viable in this kind of forum unless
>you find a group of compliant sheep. By nature, hikers (and thruhikers in
>particular) will never meet that description.  Enjoy what you've got - like
>everything else in this world, it won't last as long as you'd like."

I would enjoy the list more if we could discuss issues without calling each
other names. We need to learn to attack the message, not the messenger." Believe
me. I have no illusions about this list, or any other internet list. Nor would I
want a group of "compliant sheep." A variety of hiking and trail interests is
the first requirement for an interesting and useful hiking list. I just think
the acrimony that a few insist on when some subjects are discussed is
destructive to both those of us whose interests are to seek greater trail
protection, and those who mostly want to learn how best to thru hike.

>"...your dedication to your cause is both your strong point - and your blind
>spot."

Hmmmm. Somehow, I see blind spots from time to time on the list. So far, I
haven't seen mine. Maybe I need to put back my living room mirror that came down
two months ago when I did some ceiling repairs.

Weary