[at-l] Elevation changes

In a message dated 11/29/2003 11:17:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
hopefl@juno.com writes:
> There was no climb that I saw on the Trail that should be avoid. Certainly
> caution was needed but caution is also needed to cross the road.

The descent on north side of Mt. Madison was... ummm... steep. (tricky in
rain)
Katahdin was fun, just because it was The End.  Coming down was less fun, but
still part of The End.
I think it was Goose Eye that got my attention too. (rain)
I heard a lot of scary things about Mahoosic Arm from southbounders, but it
wasn't as hard as they made it out to be.
I agree, Moosilauke, especially the descent for northbounders can be
tricky.(rain)

Hiker with short legs have to be more creative than those with longer ones.
In Mahoosic Notch, I was following a much taller Hotdog some of the time, and
he'd find one path, then say "You might want to find a different path."  Or
I'd see what he was doing, decide for myself it would be impossible, and then
I'd find an alternative route.

There are lots of physical challenges on the AT, many of them made me quite
nervous, but I just kept going.  You have to if you wanna see Katahdin (or
Springer).  You do what you can and don't push if you are worried about a section.
 The trail will be there the next day too.

:-)
Wench

GA-->ME '03
www.trailjournals.com/wench