[at-l] (no subject)

I'm trying to get some information about a base layer to wear in cold
weather.  I have lived in Florida all my life so I don't have much experience in
this.  Which works better to keep you warm, silk or a synthetic material like
Polartec?  Which would you prefer to take on a long hike in the cold?

Also, does anyone know anything about Outlast material?  Quoting from an ad
for a pair of long-johns made of this material... "Outlast's "phase-change"
fabric was originally designed for use in the gloves worn by NASA astronauts.
Woven inside the fabric are microscopic Thermocules that absorb excess heat when
your skin heats up and releases heat when your skin cools down."  A complete
set of johns is $85.00.

Thoughts????