[at-l] MATC and Windmills

At 10:52 PM 11/26/2003 -0500, Leslie Booher wrote:
>Last year, my husband, our youngest daughter, and I hiked a long section
>of the Camino in Spain.  Spain is covered in these windmills, and they
>struck me as being works of art.  It was like having that artist who wraps
>things up do a whole country.  It was really quite wonderful.  One day's
>hike took us over a ridge right under some of those windmills.  The sound
>was a very faint humming, not troublesome at all.  The sound wasn't scary
>like that of the high tension wires that the AT goes under rather
>frequently.  The power company had put up a wonderful art piece on the
>ridge where the Camino came over.  It was a good day.  I don't think this
>project will be nearly as bad as y'all make it out to be.  You might find
>it interesting.  anklebear

Our expectations certainly have an effect our visceral reactions reactions.
If you go somewhere expecting to see exotic landscapes with unfamiliar
structures or (in the case of the  artist you mention) to see drapery
snaking artfully across miles of hillsides, the sight may be quite
pleasant. In the case of the Maine windmills however, I agree with Weary. I
don't go to the mountains either expecting or wanting to see 45 story tall
structures with whirling blades and flashing lights. I go to the wilderness
to see wilderness.