[at-l] Re: at-l Digest, Vol 7, Issue 30

hotdog, you said you saw trail damage, then you go on to say, damage to the
edge of the trail.  Could you describe the trail damage and the damage to the
edges of the trail, besides the "unsightly marks"?

After the bulk of the thru-hikers pass do you know if the damage is still
there, has been washed away by water and erosion or if the "tilled" soil has
settled back in place with time?

I have little doubt there's evidence of pole usage, especially during the
height of thru-hiker traffic.  However, I do doubt that it impacts the trail in a
lasting manner, except, possibly in areas where the trail is placed in less
then ideal areas, where the trail would need to be hardened eventually anyway,
with or without pole usage.

Sly