[at-l] Re: at-l Digest, Vol 7, Issue 30

>"...Probably more harmless, but maybe less affective too. Too each their own."

Don't knock it, Hot Dog, until you've tried it. I've experimented with both.
Though neither is ideal for all trail conditions, I find a good, soft rubber
crutch tip works better in some conditions and works adequately in almost all
conditions.

 The modern hiking pole grew out of the findings of a few hikers that ski poles
 helped in the summer also. These "summer" ski poles quickly became a fad. Few
 have actually tried the less trail-destructive alternative, because as far as I
 can tell no one is making them, well, at least, no one is promoting an
 alternative.

 I don't know enough about them to make a final judgment, but my impression is
 that the use of rubber tips for protection on the pointy tips, are a poor
 substitute.

 I've experimented with a variety of crutch tips designed for handicapped use
 over the years. There is a distinct difference among them. Some work a great
 deal better than others.

 I'm with you. My sense of balance has deteriorated over the years. I would not
 give up using a hiking pole under any condition. But I very much doubt if the
 ultimate commercial hiking pole has been developed as yet.

 FWIW, my alder hiking stick uses a Komperdell cork top, with built in compass
 and strap. Almost as good and a bit cheaper is a round, wooden cabinet draw
 pull with an improvised strap.

 Weary