[at-l] jackie's Q re my camera

True, but from a semantic point of view the extremely fine grinding
materials used in polishing are called polish. They are loose particles in
a binder and are generally applied with a buffing cloth. Finer and finer
grits are used until the remaining scratches are too fine to be seen. The
term "ground glass" generally is used to designate a relatively coarsely
ground piece of glass that is translucent but not transparent.

BTW - Not all glass lenses are better than the 'plastic' ones. Some of the
acrylic lenses can hold their own against moderate quality glass ones. If
you wear eyeglasses with 'light weight' lenses, you are viewing the world
through 'plastic' on a daily basis.