[at-l] raindrops keep falling on my head......

Weary wrote:
>I must confess that, probably unlike Jim, I've never measured a raindrop,
>nor
>have I even "spent some years learning about things like
>magnetohydrodynamics

Well, maybe that's why you keep on draggin' bad science through here?  <G>

>However, I do know quite a lot about trails and the erosion that destroys
>them,
>as I'm sure Jim does, though he seems to be trying hard to keep his
>knowledge
>secret.

I don't need to keep anything secret - but if I told you some of what I
know, you wouldn't understand it anyway.  So why should I bother you with
it?  <G>

>And I am quite familiar with the varieties of rain drops. They range from a
>gentle mist to soil pummeling big drops. All I've ever said about the
>velocity
>of rain drops is that in a vacuum they would accelerate at the rate of 32
>feet
>per second,  per second.

No, that's NOT all you've said -

>Yes. Jim. Falling objects in the real world have a terminal velocity. I
>don't
>have a clue what that might be for rain drops, though I'm quite sure
>terminal
>velocity varies as the natural conditions change.

Really?  Then why are you telling us that falling raindrops carry enough
velocity to damage trails?  After all, as you just said - you don't know.
<G>

>What I do know is that rain hits the earth -- and trails -- fast enough to
>cause
>soil erosion, a serious problem world wide.

But - but - you just said you didn't know how fast they fall. So you don't
know enough to make that kind of judgment.  And besides - it's nonsense.
<G>

>And I know that of the many ways
>found to reduce soil erosion, among the easiest to apply is to minimize the
>disturbance of natural soil and the vegetation that is growing on it.

Really?   Really - sometimes.  But your explanation is faulty.

When a raindrop hits the trail (assuming the trail has no duff or organic
material on it) there's an initial disturbance.  You've claimed that a
raindrop will always push particles of soil downhill - but that's not true
either.  Whether a particle of soil gets pushed downhill, uphill or remains
stationary depends on the force (energy) of the raindrop AND the angle at
which it hits the particle AND on which part of the raindrop first contacts
the soil particle AND the size, mass, shape and orientation of the particle
AND --a couple other factors.  Either way - the raindrop is absorbed into
the soil and the top layer of soil gets wet.  Once the top layer gets wet,
it also becomes more resistant to being moved by any other raindrops that
might hit it.

Part deux - you've assumed a very large number of raindrops impacting a very
small area to create your "erosion."  That's a bad assumption.  Even in the
hard rain that you've assumed as normal (which it isn't), the distribution
of raindrops is more likely to result in a very small number of raindrops
impacting any given particle (or any particular point on the trail).  Only
the most exceptional storms would apply  a significant enough force to any
given soil particle to move it any distance.  In which case, you'd have
other problems to worry about.

Part trois - by your own words - most trails are covered by duff, leaf
litter, etc, therefore the raindrops will not reach the soil particles to
disturb them.  Instead, the raindrops will be stopped and absorbed by the
organic material, which, when enough rain has fallen will again wet the soil
and make it more resistant to movement.  For most of the AT of course, this
wold be AFTER the raindrops have been intercepted by the tree canopy and
lost most of the energy they started with - and most of their velocity.

Part quatre - the process of "erosion" is related to raindrops by the fact
that those raindrops collect and form streams.  If enough raindrops fall,
then streams form - sometimes small - sometimes large - sometimes  swollen,
angry and violent.  The streams are what carry off organic material - and
trail soil. Not the raindrops.  A raindrop (or multiple raindrops) that fall
and fail to produce a stream will NOT carry off soil particles.  They "may"
redistribute some of the particles - but it would be a random distribution -
and not entirely downhill.

Part cinq - once a stream forms in the trail bed, then you WILL lose some
small amount of soil - even if it's covered by leaf litter, humus, etc. But
it'll be a VERY small (read infinitesimal) loss.   Even if nobody walks on
the trail during the time that stream is running.  And THAT is the long term
erosion that reduced the Appalachians to their present size.  Does anyone
remember that the Appalachians were once big enough to dwarf the Rockies?

Anyway, if you walk in that flowing stream, your boots, shoes, bare feet,
alder hiking pole, Leki -  whatever penetrates that stream and "touches" the
soil underneath will disturb the soil and carry some soil particles
downstream.  An alder pole is NOT an exception to that.  That's a related
form of erosion. Also related is that when your foot slips, it will create a
greater disturbance and release more of the trail soil than the hiking pole
that would have kept you from slipping in the first place.

Well - how about when the soil is damp (or wet) but there's no running
stream?  How about - there is no erosion in that case unless you're picking
up handfuls of mud and throwing them into the woods - or carrying them with
you.  No stream = no erosion.

Well - sorta.  Anyone who's been around the mountains during snowmelt knows
that the mountains are not static.  Have you ever listened to the Chinese
Wall falling - one piece, one rock at a time?  How about Katahdin?  Frost
heave is one manifestaion of the power of the expansion of melting ice.
And, given enough time, it can and will take down mountains.  But that's not
really erosion -

So - what's the point of all this?  Only that "rain" impacts the trail only
indirectly - and that we've ALL (at least all of those who are still reading
this mess. Ginny isn't - but then she's smarter than I am) wasted much of
the last week because Weary doesn't understand that the impact of a raindrop
(or multiple raindrops)  does not, in and of itself, constitute "erosion"  -
or that it's a rare storm/raindrop that will move even the smallest soil
particle far enough to be seen by the naked eye - or that erosion is
produced only by streams - not by individual raindrops.

How much time, O Lord, does it take to educate someone who doesn't want to
be educated?

Walk softly,
Jim

Need a shot of Hank Williams or Patsy Cline?  The classic country stars are
always singing on MSN Radio Plus.  Try one month free!