[at-l] links to my recent NH and PA pics

I think, as with much of life, there are no simple answers.  Soil types
vary tremendously - some soils compact and get hard and stay in place
better after being trambled on by many boots - especially if there is
little topography.  Other soils behave more like what Weary said - they
get loosened, and especially where there is topography, they tend to get
washed away, leaving more rocks exposed.  In areas like the rockier
areas of the AT in PA [and plenty other places along the way outside of
PA!], the prevalence of rocks has absolutely nothing to do with even
millions of bootprints, but rather ancient geologic history, combined
with more recent glacier and ice age movements.  Finally, I think it
depends on my mood as to "how much" I notice them things! :)

thru-thinker