Fw: [at-l] Arguably the Most Important Gear

anklebear wrote:
>This spring on the trail in MD and PA, we met several people out trying to
>finish thru-hikes started in '01 and '02.  They had broken their legs on
>the first efforts, and most of them had broken their legs in VA.  What's
>that all about?  It didn't seem to be the terrain, but rather the
>accumulative stress of daily long mileage.  Any thoughts?  anklebear

Yeah - just a couple - every year there are those who end up leaving the
Trail somewhere south of Harpers Ferry because of shin splints, stress
fractures, knee problems and other assorted ailments.  Sometimes it's due to
long miles.  Sometimes it's due to a heavy pack - sometimes to other
factors.  Anyone remember Waldo?  He kept trying for a couple years - and
kept lightening his pack - and kept leaving the Trail due to stress
fractures.   I had a nephew like that - and I had to bring him home to Mama
one weekend with severe break after he took a REALLY gentle fall on a ski
slope.  Some people just have brittle bones.

BTW - Waldo is still around - on another forum.

And BTW - for some people 12-15 mile days are "long miles."  Anyone remember
Rosie?

Walk softly,
Jim

Say “goodbye” to busy signals and slow downloads with a high-speed Internet
connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average.