[at-l] To Pole or Not to Pole

Weary writes >>  I long ago decided that this was a lost battle, mostly
because humans tend to
 defend to the bitter end things they find useful or convenient. <<

I have no doubt that the previous statement is true. Weary, I also believe
that it speaks directly to you and your battle.

On the face of it, I would expect hiking poles to have an effect on
increasing erosion under circumstances.  I'm equally sure that there are
numerous other factors that affect erosion to a greater degree. The tread on
one's boots and the layout of the trail also contribute significantly to
erosion. In all I would suspect that poor trail design has a significantly
greater effect on erosion than all of the hiking poles on the trail.

You've come to believe that sharp pole tips increase erosion and your
solution to the problem is to use rubber tips. Well good for you. We should
all endeavor to alter our actions when we feel the environment would be
better suited.

Still, I feel I must remind you that belief and fact are often worlds apart.
The history of science is littered with the bones of cast off theories.
Perceived logic does not always survive in the light scientific testing. To
my limited knowledge there's been no testing or if there has, it's not been
presented here.

Even if perchance you're correct and hiking poles contributes significantly
to erosion. Does that mean everyone should adopt your hiking style. I think
not! Because just because hiking poles causes erosion doesn't mean that
banning them or restricting use is the best solution or even an effective
solution. Are you going out and attempt to educate the thousands of people
using them? Or would you prefer a legislative correction?

The fact is that it would be damn near impossible to turn the tide hiking
pole usage. I suspect it would be far easier, cheaper and more effective to
properly build or rebuild the trail correctly in the first place.
Unfortunately the AT does suffer significantly from a history of poor trail
design.

-- Fallingwater

PS: I've got a degree in forest management with some work in soils and
hydrology. Still I don't feel any better qualified to predict the impact of
hiking poles on erosion and the forest trails. Maybe you've got better
training than I.