[at-l] Musings on Various Recent Postings

Ever since I went to digest mode, I have drifted away from direct
participation in the ongoing conversations that make up this great list.
  For some reason, tonight I thought I would offer a few random
thoughts, triggered in part by wading thru several weeks of unopened
list post digests . . .

1)  Gear does matter - how it matters most is in the dynamic process of
your own personal journey through the process of deciding what you
"need" and do not "need" - and then re-learning the definition of "need"
over your lifetime.  The most imporant element in this process, as with
everything is to always LEARN something new.  Also important is to
always remember that the gear is secondary to your own mind, soul and
body . . . but it sure as hell is fun to shop (even if only
window-shopping) at local outfitters, REI, Campmor, etc! :)

2)  I hiked for three decades without hiking poles, but then bought a
pair when we ran into winter storms, snow and ice in northern GA on my
2001 AT "thru-hike."  I have never hiked a mile without my poles since;
it's not about any net energy gain or loss, it is all about helping you
walk in a way that puts less stress on your body, reduces the risk of
falls, etc.  Like everything in life, there are compromises and down
sides - poles can damage the trail a bit, and - in some circumstances -
can actually cause you to fall by snagging on vegetation, getting stuck
in rocky ground, or even getting tangled up in your own two legs.
All-in-all, I love 'em!

3)  Does anyone still make in-line filters that you can insert into your
  hydration bag water line?  I cannot find them anymore, and someone
told me that many of the water filter companies are in financial
trouble, cutting product lines, etc.  Any words of knowledge or even
speculation out there on this issue?

4)  I have enjoyed seeing some recent posts that seem more
trail-related; I enjoy the others, too - as long as they don't get too
long-winded or vituperative.

5)  My ego is forcing me to say this one, last thing . . . the recent
post I made with my PA and NH hike pictures has not generated a single
reply, either on or off-list.  Since the pics are both my trip reports,
and something I really enjoy sharing, and since the pics I took on top
of Moosilauke are some of the most magical I've ever had the pleasure of
taking, I just had to drop a line and say my feelings are a bit hurt! :)

Hope everyone will take a look at my other post today about the AT
specialty tag project, and have a great Thanksgiving Holiday!

Thru-Thinker