[at-l] On Poles

At 05:18 PM 11/16/2003 -0500, Martin Fors wrote:
>In your experience, do
>rubber tipped poles purchase well on wet logs or wet rocks?  As well as
>carbide tipped poles?  rusty

I'm not Weary but I've tried both. Rubber tips are *not* good on wet wood.
This includes freshly peeled green wood even if it isn't raining. Planted
firmly, a carbide tip will bite into the wood. On dry weathered wood rubber
tips work okay but bog bridges are wet as often as not because they tend to
be in wet shaded areas. On granular surfaced rocks they work very well when
the rocks are dry and well enough of wet rocks *unless* the rocks have
lichen or algae on them as they are inclined to in streams. I haven't tried
them on smooth surfaced rock (shale and the like).

Get softer rubber when possible. It wears out faster but it grips better on
most surfaces. If using a wood pole, your friendly local hardware store
will have any size you need. You may not have any choice if buying tips to
fit Lekis, Komperdel or equivalent. Rubber tips for Komperdel are available
from www.ems.com (or in their stores). I suspect they would also fit Lekis
but I don't know. Campmor has them for Tracks poles. It was a Tracks pole
BTW that had a steel tip which I ended up swapping for a carbide tip. I
wasn't impressed with the grip or the durability of the Tracks rubber tips
either. Often it's simply a matter of wisely choosing where to plant your
pole but when the wise choices become too scarce, I pull off the rubber tip
and stick it in my pocket.