[at-l] hiking poles' efficiency...

> > Yeah, I know...  But it's a straight test, not a philosophy.
> > It actually makes sense.

> ### Um, no, it doesn't.

> That takes a given amount of effort to move X pounds up Y inches
> of incline. If it's easier (as it is with poles), then it takes
> less work (Resembling, for example, doing the same equation
> without friction in the equation (CoF=0).)

Well, I'm no scientist or anything, so I'm out of my depth I suppose.
Examine this, then.  We'll have to get some contact information and tell the
scientists that they're wrong.

Shane

***

http://walking.about.com/library/weekly/aa122800a.htm?terms=yf1

Two new studies have shown walking and trekking poles to be effective for
reducing the exertion felt while increasing the calories burned by hikers
and walkers.
The poles are used as a pair - one in each hand.  By using the poles with
each step, the walker takes strain off of the lower legs while burning more
calories by using the upper body. The poles add stability on rocky or uneven
trails as well as for wobbly walkers in any terrain.

The Cooper Institute of Dallas, Texas assessed the NordicWalking method of
using the poles for fitness walking.  They found an increase in calories
burned and oxygen used by 20% compared with regular walking at the same
pace.  The study is expected to be published in early 2001.

A study with hikers was published in the American College of Sports Medicine
journal, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise.  The study conducted
at the University of Massachussetts at Amherst showed that using poles lets
hikers lengthen their strides, put less strain on their knees, and generally
feel more comfortable.   The hikers studied did not expend less energy, but
the increase in stability made long treks easier.

Press Release: Exel Nordic Walker Sales and Distribution: KH Trading Inc.

The Cooper institute located in Dallas, Texas, assessed the impact of
NordicWalking, i.e walking with poles by comparing it to normal fitness
walking. Study results showed that Nordic Walking increases both energy
expenditure and oxygen consumption by 20% on average compared to regular
walking at the same pace.

Nordic Walking, i.e. walking with poles was first used by cross-country
skiers as a summer training method. It was then developed into a fitness
exercise suitable for all with specific training equipment by the Finnish
sports equipment manufacturer Exel Oyj, researchers in sports medicine, and
other fitness professionals. Nordic Walking improves endurance fitness,
strengthens the various muscles of the upper body and improves the mobility
and blood circulation of the neck and shoulder area.

Nordic Walking is up to 46% more efficient than regular walking

The Cooper Institute studied the effectiveness of Nordic Walking both in
laboratory and field conditions in autumn 2000. Study results show that
compared to regular fitness walking Nordic Walking significantly increased
oxygen and energy consumption. Dr. Tim Church, Medical Laboratory Director
or the Cooper Institute: "I oversaw the research examining the caloric
expenditure and oxygen consumption associated with Nordic Walking. 11 males
and 11 females participated in our study. The participants walked on an
outside track first with normal walking. This was followed by Nordic Walking
session. Participants carried a metabolic unit, which measures oxygen
consumption and caloric expenditure. What we found is that on average there
was a 20% increase in caloric expenditure and in oxygen consumption in a
study group when using the poles. Additionally there was a 6% increase in
heart rate when using the poles.

However the participants did not find walking with poles more strenuous.
Individual variations in the results were remarkable. Some individuals
increased as much as 46% in oxygen consumption and just about the same in
caloric expenditure."

Nordic Walking is efficient in many ways

Nordic Walking is an excellent exercise mode owing to its overall impact and
high-energy consumption and is thus well suited for exercise aiming at
weight loss. It has also many other health effects. The Finnish Helsinki
Polytechnic's Faculty of Health Care studied the impact of regular
participation in Nordic Walking in spring 1999. They studied women working
mainly with PCs and their symptoms in the neck and shoulder area and the
mobility of the cervical and pectoral spine. The study showed that the
symptoms in the neck and shoulder are disappeared among more than half of
the participants and that the mobility of the cervical and pectoral spine
improved

significantly. Among older persons the use of poles is a factor of safety as
they may prevent falling at the time improving mobility.

Nordic Walking gains popularity very rapidly

According to a poll conducted by Gallup Finland Ltd. Published on 22
November 2000 the number of persons participating regularly in Nordic
Walking has increased by some 200, 000 persons during the last year in
Finland. As many as 480,000 Finns now walk regularly with the poles. Some
30% of Finns (1,200,000) tried Nordic Walking at least once during the last
year. In addition to Finland Nordic Walking is coming increasingly popular
in Sweden, Switzerland, Austria and Germany. At present Exel is launching
Nordic Walking in Japan and the U.S.A.

Appropriate equipment required

Correct Nordic Walking technique and effective training are best achieved by
equipment designed especially for Nordic Walking. The technical
specifications of Exel Nordic Walker poles allow efficient and safe
exercising. The shaft is made of composite material, which makes the poles
exceptionally durable and light. The grip of the pole is ergonomically
designed and the special strap supports the hand. The pole's lower part's
quick release spike tip is forward-angled allowing the hard metal tip to hit
the ground at the correct angle so ensuring a firm grip on harder and
slippery surfaces. An asphalt paw has been designed especially for walking
on asphalt, which effectively absorbs the impact of the pole.

Further information:

Exel Nordic Walker Sales and Distribution: KH Trading Inc.

Mr. Topi Sarparanta, Marketing Director, tell. 1-561-742-0067,
topi@nordicwalker.net

http://www.nordicwalker.net