[at-l] Probably NOT Worth repeating ;-) - hiking poles

I suspect, for my anecdotal observations, that there a two major different
in trekking pole use:

   Those who use them for propulsion assistance
      vs.
   those who use them a walking/balance aids.

Those who use them primarily for propulsion assistance probably do use more
calories per hour.  However, I suspect they cover more ground in that same
hour.  I wonder what (if any) difference there is in calories per mile.

I suspect that those who use them a walking/balance aids would burn only
slightly more calories than carrying them.  If one uses them as part of
their tent/tarp setup also, that would reduce the carry weight by the
savings in not carrying tent poles.

Many years ago, (when my speed and balance was far better) I hiked PA w/o
them.

The last time I hiked PA I used them.  True it took me longer.  However, I
doubt I would have made it, the last time, without the additional stability
and recovery assistance they provided.

Many years ago my FSO was heaver (including some comfort and distraction
items, which I no longer carry).

Today, when I weight the trade-offs, I'll take the comfort of
walking/balance aids over the camera, the paper back, etc.

As always YMMV.

Chainsaw