[at-l] What about the books?

In a message dated 11/13/2003 9:53:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
poboxcourtney@hotmail.com writes:

> How important do you think the collection of guide books are from the ATC?
>
> I have a few other books, but I'm thinking of purchasing these for on the
> trail and drop points.  Since there on holiday sale, I thought now would be
> a good time to purchase.  What's best?

The guidebooks and map special they're running now is a great deal, but few
thru-hikers ever carry the guidebooks, only the maps and a data book plus the
companion or Wingfoot's book.  If money is an issue you could get by just fine
with WF's book*.

IMO*, the chances of getting truly lost, where a map is needed are slim
unless you're in whiteout conditions and then, they probably wont help.  If you ask
me, the AT is too well marked and you'd really have to try hard to get lost.

*standard disclaimers apply- YMMV

Sly