[at-l] ideas for inexpensive thru-hike

Weary writes:

<<  I'd love to see a summary of your gear and food choices, cooking
practices and typical pack weights -- and estimated highs and lows. >>

I'm really not the one to ask about those items. My pack weight has always
been about average (which means it's dropped a lot over the years, but then
the "average" has dropped as well). Nothing ultra light. About 19 base
weight in summer and 24 base weight in the colder times. Add two pounds per
day of food, and another 2 pounds per liter of water. It's ends up being
nothing to write home about. Just middle of the road. Regarding cooking
practices and food choices - that's an area where I do quite poorly. In my
desire to stay cheap, the quality of my diet suffers, and I haven't figured
out how to balance all the diet vs. cost/logistics dilemmas.  If I ate the
way I would *really* want to, I'd have to do maildrops almost everywhere,
and it would involve the kind of prep I don't know how to do, or feel
motivated to do (because of cost and other reasons). So I just continue to
eat the usual crap that many thru-hikers eat. So, as I said, perhaps others
here could address this more productively.

wc

Great deals on high-speed Internet access as low as $26.95.