[at-l] Worth repeating - hiking poles

For Lilla - a change of subject (sorta) ------

There have been some words spoken about NOT taking hiking poles on the
Trail.  Now it's none of my business whether anyone actually takes them or
not - or what kind they take.  But before making any final decisions, y'all
might want to consider the following article that appeared in the PCTA
Communicator in April 2002.  Meant to do this a couple days ago but it took
a while to find the thing again.

Walk softly,
Jim

Michael Hodgson, a 1995 Eco-Challenger and publisher of SNEWS, an on-line
newsletter for the outdoor industry,  was totally dubious about hiking
poles, but agreed to try them on a four-day Colorado mountain trek.

“I realized I’d never had such a feeling of power and control while hiking.
Not only that \, but at the endo of the day, my knees had never felt better
or my legs less fatigued.  Never again wil I hike without poles” he
reported.

Hodgson’s wife, Theresa Iknoian, co-publisher of SNEWS and an exercise
physiologist, noted that pole users showed increased muscular use throughout
the body, turning hiking into something a lot more like cross-country
skiing.”

She added “This year we’ve seen two more in-depth studies, from
Steadman-Hawkins Foundation in Vail and the University of Massachusetts.
These show a general reduction of 4.4 percent in impacts to the body when a
hikers foot hits the ground.  The conclusion was, if you use poles, you’ll
reduce the possibility of tendonitis, and other painful injuries to hips,
thighs, calves, knees and ankles.

You can use the same poles in winter for snowshoeing of Nordic skiing – just
add the large snow-basket to the pole; for summer, snap on the smaller
trekking basket, or no basket at all.  To make poles even more versatile,
different tips can be added to provide balance for any kind of surface from
snow or rubble to cement or even interior floors.  And one further point,
poles provide upper body exercise which is lacking in simple trudging.

When I stared snowshoeing, nobody used poles.  About 15 years ago, some of
us took up poles, and today, it is practically unthinkable to go without
poles.  It will happen in hiking.

Bear Klaw
In the Pacific Crest Trail Communicator, April-May 2002

>From Beethoven to the Rolling Stones, your favorite music is always playing
on MSN Radio Plus. No ads, no talk. Trial month FREE!