[at-l] Shelter, shelter burnng bright...

On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 02:59  PM, ARTCLOUTMN@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/10/03 11:12:05 PM, askowronek@mindspring.com
> writes:
>
> << Sometimes I think there's no real way around getting wet under a
> tarp,
> unless
> it's a really really big tarp. >>
>
> Floors in tents is a relatively new concept.  When I hiked in the 50's
> no
> tent had a bottom.  That is where the idea for a ground cloth came
> from.
> Placement of a tent was very important.  Most campers used to put a
> trench around
> their tent to direct the flow of water away from the tent.  Of course
> that is
> considered anti-conservational behavior now.

I'm thinking right now about the very wet spring we had.  In my yard,
which is
a local maximum (i.e. at the top of a broad hill) there was standing
water
for a long time.  My yard slopes down and then flattens out again, and
I could hear running water as it flowed down that slope.  There was
no place I could have set up to stay dry.  Except in my hammock, that
is.

Trenching wouldn't have helped, since the water was coming up from
below.

-amy